In order to continue its development of innovative medicines that help millions of patients around the world, Amgen sought to create a new US$350m facility in Dublin, Ireland. This major investment in research and development was designed to deliver major technology process enhancements, and ultimately to transform the plant into one of the leading biotechnology manufacturing sites in the world. The development included the construction of an 11,700 sq.m. production plant and a 5,800 sq.m. cold chain warehouse, as well as the refurbishment of existing buildings. With an aggressive schedule commencing in 2011 and lasting three years, our client appointed Linesight as our team has extensive experience in delivering fast-track programs in similar large-scale projects.
Guiding the client
Linesight was engaged primarily to provide project controls, and cost management services were then purchased on an ad hoc basis, as required. Our main service consisted of offering cost management advice and support, putting in place a strong team of professional individuals. Throughout the project, our client relied on the provision of extra resources as demanded – we provided procurement specialists, cost engineers, and cost management support to make up the project controls department, as well recruiting additional personnel as the project grew. By building a strong reputation, through the quality of our team, we secured further procurement support work.
Supplying a critical skill set
- We brought systems knowledge including SAP, Fieldglass, Efinity - Ariba/ConCur to the project – essential tools used by project control teams in large multinationals
- Recognising the advantages of assigning people with prior Amgen experience to our team, we brought onboard a number of key personnel from all over the world to work on this project
Delivering change management and cost savings
- Linesight challenged the major vendors on receipt of all change requests, auditing all charges, expenses, and manpower
- Settled final accounts with major saving to the project
- Design of a tool to report headcount rates, actuals, forecasting and over burn, and percentage time worked by each CW across each project