Transport Infrastructure Ireland’s (TII) mission is to provide high quality infrastructure and services, delivering a better quality of life and supporting economic growth in Ireland. Its primary function is to provide an integrated approach to the future development and operation of the national roads network and light rail infrastructure nationwide. In 2004, the decision was made to undertake an extensive scheme, which would see the TII (formerly the NRA) engaging with Linesight for the provision of cost management and risk support services for a range of new projects of varying sizes.
Since 2005, we have developed an inherently unique relationship with TII, becoming a fundamental part of their advisory team. Rather than focusing on a specific project or a number of particular projects, we provide advice from a more holistic perspective. Given the unique requirements associated with TII’s current, and future projects and developments, the Linesight team was initially appointed, and successfully reappointed three times over 11 years for a number of key reasons:
- Requirement for bespoke full cost management support under a single supplier multi annual framework
- Diverse experience, expertise, and flexibility to facilitate the required cost estimation services, which can range from multiple high value roads projects to smaller scale pavement works
- The need to develop extensive guidelines and review processes, that were tailored and appropriate for the unique nature of their projects
Working on landmark infrastructure
At present, we have a commercial team embedded on the Luas Cross City Project, which is one of the largest capital investment projects undertaken in Ireland. Creating an additional 10 million passenger journeys per year and costing €368 million, it is an extensive program which requires considerable expertise. In addition to this, we are providing project management support services on the existing Metro Line Capacity Enhancement Program, which again necessitates particular expertise on managing our client’s specific requirements.
Developing bespoke processes and guidelines
Our prerogative is to provide a service which is tailored to accommodate the specific requirements of each and every client, and this is particularly true in the case of TII. The Linesight team conducts robust reviews of market rates on an annual basis to create a bespoke ‘Schedule of Rates’ for TII. The team also provides clear and concise advice on market inflation both present day and potential future trends, as well as developing key company documents such as TII Cost Management Manual. We have created a tailor-made cost estimating database for roads projects, which in turn allows us to compile Order of Magnitude costs for new and potential schemes. In addition, we have continuously managed the risk and value process throughout specific projects. This could then be used to advise of project specific contingencies and updating of the same as the project develops.
A trusted partner
We have become TII’s go-to cost consultant regarding all commercial matters and would be considered a key team member during their intensive infrastructure construction and development period from 2005 to today. We continue to provide cost and commercial advice and support, to ensure value for money, both from an industrial project and overall business context.
- Over €5 billion worth of both primary and secondary road network constructed in Ireland
- Forming a fundamental part of the advisory team with TII for 12 years
- Providing the highest caliber of personnel for teams working on various prominent projects, such as the Luas Cross City Project and the Metro Line Enhancement Program
- Facilitating and supporting TII in an integrated approach to the future development and operation of the national roads network and light rail infrastructure nationwide
- Consistently achieving time/cost savings or consistently delivering programs to the highest standard, on time and on budget, or developing processes and guidelines to ensure value for money and efficiency for TII
Outcomes: A fundamental part of the advisory team with TII for 12 years