As London continues to experience high demand for centrally-located commercial space, and limited opportunities for new builds, refurbishment of existing buildings is the most viable option to release floor space. Our client saw an opportunity to revive the 1980s-built office block at 160 Aldersgate in central London with a Category A refurbishment. The ambition was to provide a first class office facility to attract a premium tenant. Rather than a traditional CAT A refurbishment, the existing steel frame was strengthened to allow for additional floors to be added, to maximize the space, and ultimately to maximize the value. Given Linesight’s extensive experience in renovating and refurbishing existing office spaces to the highest of standards, our client brought us on board to act as cost managers on the project.
Creating Project Clarity
Our team provided full cost management services from conception to final account. In order to secure early and competitive ‘buy in’ from the market, we tailored the procurement option to pique interest while ensuring to meet the needs of our client. Numerous cost options and studies were carried out in advance of the project, and we constantly revisited the scope of our client, to allow them to make informed decisions throughout the design process. We liaised constantly with the client, project managers, and design team, to monitor potential risks as the project proceeded, as well as keeping the client abreast of any variations to the design and/or budget, to ensure their sign-off before their inclusion.
Achieving Cost Savings and Value for Money
- The project was delivered within 3% of our client's budget, with the appropriate level of risk transferred to the contractor
- We delivered value for money on what was a very complex project, when benchmarked against similar projects in the city
- Our consistent reviewing of the design as it progressed led to improved buildability, which ultimately delivered cost savings for our client
An Environmentally Friendly Development
- This is a Category A level space, and our objective is to achieve BREEAM 2014 – Excellent rated office space
- As a result of the exceptional service provided on this commission, we are currently partnering with our client on a number of other high profile commercial projects throughout the UK
The project was completed in October 2017, with our client providing the below testimonial:
“Linesight provided us with highly accurate budgeting and forecasting on 160 Aldersgate which helped us enormously throughout this project. Their strategic advice and proactive role in overseeing the entire project, coupled with their accuracy, timeliness and personal engagement made our collaboration on this prestigious build seamless.”
Martin Claisse, Development Director, Castleforge Partners.