As one of the most recognized brands in Europe, Primark has stores located in all major cities throughout the UK. When they set out to create their largest flagship store in the heart of Birmingham, they envisaged it as a uniquely vibrant and inspiring shopping experience for a new era of retail. Linesight has a long-established relationship with Primark, working on a large number of stores for the client over the last 20 years and so Primark had no hesitation in bringing our expertise on board once again for this build.
Creating an enhanced shopping experience
Our team was engaged to provide full cost management services, from feasibility studies and cost planning, to final account agreement, capital allowances analysis and insurance reinstatement. The works were phased into multiple stages and included more complex aspects, such as asbestos removal, demolitions works, extensive structural modifications and internal renovations, new lift shafts, and the installation of equipment (M&E, escalators, etc.).
Significant structural alterations were required prior to undertaking the subsequent fit-out works to deliver Primark’s latest standards and enhanced customer offering. The customer’s interaction with the building was to the fore throughout the design process leading to enhanced facilities and brand promotion being introduced. Part of creating an iconic shopping location included the replacement of the three and four storey facades on the front and back of the existing shopping center with a bespoke aluminium mesh panel and ETFE cladding. Ultimately, Linesight was tasked with delivering ever-evolving flagship features within an ambitious program and fixed budget.
Overcoming city center challenges
- The city center location is constrained by adjacent units, a pedestrianized street, and a public highway, including a shared service access road serving retail units in the city center
- The existing building is comprised of numerous ramped/sloped floor slabs that have to be removed and replaced at a constant level to provide a
suitable retail environment for our client
- A number of high profile tenants were retained and trading during the course of the works, which posed additional complexities for the project
Reviewing and benchmarking for an optimal outcome
- Reviews incorporating cross checks, alternatives, and omissions were implemented by Linesight to ensure that updated proposals met the client’s fixed and approved budget
- Benchmarking regularly with the latest flagship schemes, coupled with the team’s vast experience in similar projects, and proven track record
using committed resources is facilitating the delivery of this scheme